Tuesday 25 August 2009

More Course Work and Buying Flowers (Tuesday 25th August)

Today was more getting course work sorted out and completed. I've now completed the Summative Profile and tidied up some other bits for the learning journal section which I will complete tomorrow hopefully.

This afternoon it was something much more fun as I headed off to the flower wholesalers I use just the other side of Woburn Safari Park, near Eversholt in Bedforshire. I took Jamie as he hadn't been before. It is one of those places that if you are a flower arranger it is heaven on earth there is so much stuff you just want to have it all, and everything you see you think, I could use that, I could use that, and that and that. So I have to be very disciplined with myself. I had a shopping list, as I was going with a purpose, although I did spot a couple of things which will be going onto a future shopping list!

I wanted to get some sundries and some flowers as I am entering the Bucks County Show flower arranging classes on Thursday so I wanted to get my flowers and get them conditioned (let them have a really good drink) so they will be ready to work with. I ended up spending a small fortune but at this stage I don't really know how much of everything I am going to need. I tried not to have everything I was doing set in stone, as I may not be able to get the flowers or foliage that I am after, so would make final choices once I had seen what was available. Luckily I managed to get just about everything I was after either at Hillyards or at Frosts Garden Centre at Woburn Sands. But as a taster some of the flowers I am using are chrysanthemums, roses, calla lilies, phlox, carnations, asters and even a petunia or two out of the garden.

Here are some pictures of some of the things I bought, some for Thursday and some for general use. For pictures of the flowers you will have to wait and see the completed designs and see how I do on Thursday (fingers crossed). I started flower arranging less than a year ago and here I am on the eve of entering my first competition, it is so exciting!



One of the classes for the Bucks County Show is an arrangement in a basket, I bought this one as I thought I may use it, but decided on a different one I bought today instead, but this will come in very handy too, also in this picture is the biggest ball of string (ever!) which cost me less than a small one would at Hobbycraft, and I suspect I will use it up (eventually!) and a small bag of feathers, which may or may not get used on Thursday.


I totally fell in love with this basket, and it was only £1.75 I have an idea to do a rustic continental or parallel arrangement in this, it should work well.

Finally a kenzan or pin holder (85p a snip!) used for Ikebana, some copper coloured wire, feathers, candle holder and some blacks beads on wire.


Ciao

Sue

XX

Reading challenge 8/16 - currently reading Lovers and Players by Jackie Collins
Jamie's Reading challenge 4/12 - currently reading Rotten Romans by Terry Deary
SLYMI - 1/52

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...