Sunday 25 July 2010

College - Finally the Finale!

So it has finally arrived the final week, all assessments done, all assignments done.  I decided to try and get a clean sweep of distinctions but I didn't quite manage it - but hey I will get the Diploma with Distinction and have 8 out of 10 units with distinctions so none too bad.  Everything is now signed and sealed and the only thing left is to collect my green folder and get my Diploma.  I think I need a couple of weeks to get it through my system and come to my final conclusions and am so writing this a couple of weeks later!

I wanted to upgrade 2 assessments from Merit to Distinction (not an easy feat) to get a clean sweep across the board and so needed to re-do my Loose Posy Pad and my Form Linear Hand tied.  Well I found a great picture of a perfect LPP to copy - a lovely version of it but well it wasn't good enough for you know who and would only get a merit so at that point I said goodbye to Milton Keynes College.  If wasn't going to get 10 units then I wasn't going to bother with doing the Hand tied either.  My problem with that one (if I am totally honest) is it should have been a Distinction in the first place but due to the lack of resources at college, her totally subjective way of marking and her bizarre way of explaining things I only got a Merit - just about anyone else would have marked it Distinction.

It is now over.  I know I have my Diploma, I know it is at Distinction and I know I only have to go back to collect my green folder with my mark sheets in - FINIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had one final piece of excellent news - and here I have to set the scene and am also going to be a little bitchy, but in my opinion on this occasion deservedly so - and anyway it's my blog so ..................!!

As in all courses there are always the shall we call them louder members of the class who will shout out their answers regardless, now in this class there were 3 possibly 4 (2 of whom had some knowledge and 1 a little less and 1 a lot less), I was always less first in and would wait  to be asked but largely knew my stuff and often gave the correct answer once the others had stopped shouting out theirs!!

There was a 'tea-party' on the Tuesday evening of the penultimate week which I wasn't able to go to due to Jamie at Cubs but J (the oldest in the group) was given Student of the Year in the Class - although she has said that the speech Janet gave was more along the lines of well whilst not the best student, in the face of adversity etc etc.  Although personally I think she was a good choice as she was very popular with everyone in the group.  The other certificate to the group was for the Student Identification Achievement Certificate for the student who gained the highest mark in all the identification assignments (of which there were 4 identification assessments with marks totally around the 350/360 level).

Now I understand that someone (TD2) was chomping at the bit on the Tuesday expecting that she had won - but there were a couple more that Janet needed to mark and so, quite rightly this could not be announced - the person who had expected she was going to win was part of shall we call them TD1 and TD2 who were joined at the hip for the second half of the course.  So much so that when doing the mossed design it almost looked like synchronised floristry!!  They had the same box TD2 traded her original one in for one identical to TD1, always sat together, always worked together etc and so on.

And then the following week as those of us in that week are having a break, a chat and a sandwich shall we call her Pam Faulty said "Oh well we know ***** is going to win that" and I thought to myself well you can say that but I know some of TD2 scores and knew I was ahead of her on 1 and knew I had done really well on another, so I didn't feel it was cut and dried, in fact felt quietly confident.  I hadn't shouted my results around, but knew I was ahead of her by several on 1 assessment, behind her by 1/2 mark on another and was pleased with the other two scores, so I was looking forward to the result.

And the result was I got the Student Achievement in Identification Certificate and I was over the moon - icing on the cake  to the Diploma!!!  And several cherries on top by beating certain people and other people's ill informed opinions!!  As it turned out I had beaten her by 2 and the next nearest by 7 so a very pleasing finale!!  And it was not based on someone's opinion but on knowledge and hard work, which is far more important to me!!

Ciao

Sue
XX

Reading challenge 10/16 - currently reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...