Thursday 27 September 2012

Book Review - V is for Vengeance by Sue Grafton

Another Wonderful Read - Beware Spoilers



It is always a very enjoyable time for me when the new Sue Grafton comes out but these days it is becoming a bittersweet pleasure.  V is for Vengeance was published in hardback in 2011 but I’m running a little bit behind with most of my favourite authors at the moment so I’ve only just got around to reading this book and in print too as I have all the other novels in her alphabet series. 

This story has all of the usual bits (character, plot, style) that I hope to find in a Kinsey Millhone mystery – the plot which relies in Kinsey’s knowledge and wits and not on technology and fast paced communication; Kinsey as narrator and all of the fantastic characters she comes into contact with during the story – Henry, William, Rosie, and Cheney Phillips.  There are some interesting characters integral to the story Lorenzo Dante, his brother Cappi, Pinky and Dodie, Nora and Len Priddy. 

The story starts with Kinsey spotting a shoplifter whilst she is on a rare clothes shopping trip and bringing this to attention of the shop keeper, subsequently she ends up investigating why misfortune hits the shoplifter after she is arrested.  The story also weaves the love affair between Dante and Nora in between Kinsey’s investigations.

This book doesn’t have any startling changes to the most recent novels and we get part of the story from the viewpoint of Dante and Nora but I don’t want that with a Sue Grafton novel – I want pretty much what all of the other books have been – these books are my comfy cardigan or bootee slippers of my reading world – familiar, comfortable but utterly nurturing and steady – I know what I am getting.  This is why a new Sue Grafton whilst always a pleasure is so bittersweet as I now only have 4 more of these novels to go (and the J is for Judgement which I am keeping back just in case).  A great read – perfect in every way!


Ciao
Sue
Reading challenge 4/20 - currently reading on Kindle TBC and in print Duxford

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...