Sunday 17 January 2010

College Week 10

This week at college ..... we always start the week doing something to help learn or reinforce our learning of flowers and foliages. We have to learn the common name, botanical name, stem structure (soft, sap, woody etc), number in a wrap (bunch), availability, poisionous or irritant and any special treatment they need. So not much then and there are 60 flowers and 25 foliages on the list. There is a assessment on them later in the course when about 30-40 have to be identified (!!!!!)


I have completed my folder on the flowers, although I have to keep adding to it as I learn something new and it is huge - here's an example with one of my favourite flowers, Molucella Laevis (Bells of Ireland), oh yes! - I have to learn how to spell them too (aargh!). Jamie is brilliant because he helps me a lot and goes through the flash cards that we made together to help me remember them (and when you get to my age, remembering stuff isn't what it used to be ha ha!). He's strict though and puts them into 3 piles, one correct, two nearly correct and 3 wrong but I have to say it totally correctly exactly as it is on the card - he's a toughie!!


I have my foliages to work on yet and then I hope to be ready for the assessment! As I am writing this so far behind now, the only other thing I can really remember doing is the Hand Tied Posy, a smaller version of a hand tied which can be made in a collar too. My spelling is totally shot at the moment as I am just rushing through trying to catch up, so please forgive!


Ciao

Sue

XX

Reading challenge 10/16 - currently reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkhaban

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...