Saturday 8 January 2011

Book Review - The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

Beware Spoilers!


I hadn't planned to read this yet but picked up a brand new copy at the library and thought I may as well make use of it, having it on loan from the library is also a great incentive to read a book fairly quickly, although I didn't think I would need one for this as I really enjoyed The Da Vinci Code and loved Angels and Demons.  This sadly I didn't enjoy quite as much, still a good read and an enjoyable story but it didn't quite hit all the excitement and involvement for me as the other books mentioned.

The story was fast paced and dramatic, the plot complex and puzzling, some of the scientific information startling, interesting, mind boggling and both believable and unbelievable.  But this time I just didn't seem to care quite so much, Robert Langdon just seemed that bit more boring, and surely after what he has already been through in his life would he really be so naive as to allow himself to get dragged into yet another mystery like this, wouldn't he be questioning every invitation he receives no matter who it is from.  I am beginning to think of him as a very unlikely hero (or maybe that is the point)

The story all takes place in and around Washington DC which brings this book some differences to the European set books, but I was also less familiar with the places which may have made this book less enjoyable.  There are some amazingly dramatic events and one or two I was quite surprised to find Langdon was able to finally escape from, the characters were typical Dan Brown characters and the villain perhaps the worst of all his villains (although I had had a sneaky suspicion that he may have been who he turned out to be all along - with no evidence for this in the book!!)

Overall not up to the other books of his which I have read and it is quite a long book at over 600 pages, a good airplane or beach novel.  So I was glad I had borrowed it from the library as it kept me focused to finish it and I didn't feel cheated that I had had to pay for it!!

Ciao

Sue
XX
Reading challenge 15/16 - currently reading War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (not off my reading challenge)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...