Wednesday 18 July 2012

Jamie Finishes Junior School (A catch up a year on!)

A catch up post - almost a year later - although I did write it at the time never got the pictures into it and finished it off so here we go

Today has been a very unusual day as it was Jamie's last day at EVS, his junior school. We took a couple of photos this morning and then walked Jamie up to that school for the very last time. There was very little work to be done at school, and in the afternoon they hold a leavers assembly for those leaving and then leave at about 2.15. We wandered up to school again to have a final meet up and chat with Mums (and Dads) at the gate.


I had predicted tears, both from the children and from us and there were. We were trying to be brave but as soon as the first children came out some fighting back the tears and other giving in and crying it was very hard to be brave. I went when Jamie's friend G came out, he's been with her since nursery school and was waiting anxiously for Jamie. He eventually came out and there were tears - he did well and coped - his friend Jack was coming home with him so all was quickly OK.
As we walked home, we walked past a group of girls leaving and I overheard one of them say that "they hadn't thought saying goodbye would hurt so much" - it really cut me up, and I thought how unfair we are to make our children so sad. But then I also thought that we all have to move on in so many aspects of our lives and I guess they are learning in a small and supportive way how that process works. But so very sad for them all - all the same.

I guess I really felt for those whose parents were not there for whatever reason and were stood there looking sad, lonely and bewildered. I really do hope that those who are going off to other schools stay in touch, I will certainly be encouraging Jamie to do that - and with the likes of facebook it shouldn't be too difficult for them to do.

Jamie headed off this morning with his presents for his teachers and I'm sure his teacher really liked the Peterborough Football Scarf (but not a typical football scarf - its a bit classier than that) and lots of thank you cards, and an extra special lunchbox.

And so that is it, the end of junior school - it hardly seems more than 5 minutes since we were taking Jamie to school for the first time - it is scary.

Ciao
Sue
XX

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...