Saturday 2 April 2011

Not for the Squeamish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have for some time had a real problem tooth, years rather than months.  I've had it filled a couple of times, but because of my really really big fear/hatred/loathing of going to and the whole process of being in the Dentists I have not had the root canal filling which it really needed and gone for the lesser filling, which gave me another 4 or 5 years with the tooth.  But the day was coming when I new I was going to have to go and let my Dentist see it and I was hoping to put that off until our next regular check up.  That was not to be, as the filling fell out and whilst that didn't cause me any pain it did cause me a big problem in another way, but more of that in a moment.

As I mentioned above I have always hated going to the Dentist, this is because dental treatment in the UK in the late 1960's and early 1970's was less than sophisticated, in fact I'd go so far to say it was almost barbaric.  When I was very young only about 5 or 6 I had to have 4 large back teeth out, why I don't know but I did.  I can even now 40 years later clearly remember being sat in the waiting room.  There were a lot of children waiting for dental extractions and as each one was seen they were brought through the waiting room  still in pain and many with blood visibly coming from their mouths.  Then it was my turn, luckily I don't remember that, probably blocked it out, but remember staying at my Grandma's afterwards.  And from then onwards I've hated the dentist.

So I have always where possible avoided the dentist, gone for my regular check-ups when I had to, but largely given the whole thing as wide a berth as possible.  But for this one tooth, I am not doing too badly either a few fillings here and there and a couple of teeth I've lost, but nothing that you can see, back ones.  Anyway my filling fell out and I wasn't rushing to the dentist, but there was a nasty rough edge (here it gets yucky) and it was rubbing on my tongue which quickly became swollen and very very uncomfortable!!  I was lucky as Mike had a dentist appointment so I was able to pinch his appointment to get my tooth done and my Dentist knowing 'what I'm like' decided that the tooth had to come out there and then which he did.  So at least it was all  going to be over before Christmas.

Sadly getting the tooth out was not so easy and I had several injections to start with and then went back into the waiting room, then back into the chair, but I could still feel lots of pain and a few more injections later, still pain, and then one finally right into the middle of the tooth, that got it.  The tooth was out pretty quickly after that and then it was home for some TLC which was duvet and tv on the sofa for a few hours!!

For the not so squeamish - below is a picture or two of the offending tooth and not so nice it was at all and I'm rather glad its not longer there causing me problems and I haven't missed it.



Ciao

Sue
XX

Reading challenge 15/16 - currently reading Twilight by Stephanie Meyer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...