Sunday 3 July 2011

Book Review - Learn to Be an Optimist by Lucy MacDonald

Hooray!!  I have finally finished my reading list (well a little while ago now as I am so behind!)  but here goes.

Learn to Be an Optimist by Lucy MacDonald



This was of course not a straightforward read, and whilst I have read it I am still working through it and probably will for some time to come.

This book is a great introduction to optimism and covers the subject well, there are great explanations of a variety of issues concerning and surrounding optimism and many exercises and sections to work through to allow the reader to analyse where they are on a optimism scale at the moment and then to work on themselves to improve their skills and abilities to be more optimistic.

The book gives the reader a thorough understanding of the subject, using some very good examples from those who are more optimistic, it explores optimistic attitudes and how to gain, nurture and use them in problem solving, to build confidence amongst others.  It also explores optimism and both physical and mental health and then helps you put it all into action.

The book can be read just as it is and gives the reader lots of food for thought and areas where they may be able to improve on their own beliefs and thinking or it can be read and worked through, like going on a self-development programme.  One of the suggestions the book makes is to create an optimism journal and that is where I am at the moment - working my way through the book and the exercises again with the journal - once complete the journal will be something which I can use and dip into as and when the need arises, something I can use when the black dog appears to be heading my way.

I would thoroughly recommend this book as a great way to explore and understand optimism, and for anyone like myself who has by nature and nurture a pessimistic outlook then this is a great place to start to work on improving ones optimistic outlooks on life.

Ciao
Sue
XX

Reading challenge 16/16 - finished!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...