Friday 8 July 2011

New Reading List!

So completing my reading list, means time to draw up another list, which in itself is always fun.  This list will of course take a long time to complete, as I read books from the library and have other books on the go too by my favourite authors, but its useful to have a list to go back to when I can't decide what to read next and it also keeps me focused in reading some books which really need to be moved off the shelves where they have gathered dust for some time.

Jackie Collins - Drop Dead Beautiful
Possibly the last one ever, and only read-ng it because i-ts part of the Lucky Santangelo series which i have read and enjoyed.  I haven't enjoyed her books quite so much for some ti-me, although at one point she was a guilty pleasure, but this is one of those gathering dust and taking up space on a shelf so its on the list it goes.


Simone de Beauvour - The Blood of Others
One of those that I feel I need to read, an antidote to the above in many ways.   I've read some Albert Camus so I am guessing this may be in a similar vein, although I have a feeling this may be hard going.  Set in Paris during the German occupation, this is the story of a love affair told as one of the lovers lays dying and asks all of the fundamental existentialist questions, who am I, why am I here etc.

M J Hyland - Carry Me Down
I can't remember why I bought this one now, although I think it may be set in Ireland, so that might explain it, a regular foray into Ireland in all its glories.  A new author so unknown territory, which is never a bad thing.

Jean Plaidy - Katherine the Virgin Widow
I love these, real escapism - I've started the Tudor series from the beginning, despite reading many of them before but now I will have no gaps.  Holiday reading for me and pure relaxation.

Alexander McCall Smith - The World According to
This was a handon from a friend, I've heard a lot about this author, so am looking forward to seeing what he is about.  This book appears to be part of a series so I'll give it a go although I'm not really looking to get into another series of books at the moment as I have several on the go.

Katie Fford - Going Dutch
Another handon, chicklit I think and a summer read for sure.

Campbell Armstrong - Jigsaw
I read the first part of this, Jig, years and years ago, terrorism, counter-terrorist expert Frank Pagan, picked this up in a second hand bookstore and it has sat on the shelf for some time, so I wonder if its as good as I remember.

Andersens - Fairy Tales
Always worth another read, and on the list purely because it was near Jigsaw on the shelf, and I hope to encourage Jamie to read it after me.

Louis De Bernieres - Capt Corelli's Mandolin
One that I really ought to read, as we also have the film sat here waiting to be watched.  As a return trip to Kefalonia is high on the agenda this year (well it is one of the places we are thinking of) this really would be the right time to read it - or do I save it for there - the sounds, sea, smells etc would really bring it to life!!

Agatha Christie - Murder on the Orient Express
One of my favourite films and as I've suprisingly never read an Agatha Christie, this one sounds like a good summer read.




Charles Dickens - David Copperfield
A true classic and one I've been meaning to read for a long time.

Alex Kava - Whitewash
One of my favourite authors who I've got a little behind with, not her usual character Maggie O'Dell but new characters and a new setting.

Mike Tucker - The Nightmare of Black Island
The final Doctor Who novel of our box of 10, this allows me to get my hit of David Tenents doctor and Rose too, a quick but fun read.

Lisa Appigananesi - A Good Woman
I can't remember where this one came from, but it has been on the shelves quite a while so time for it to be read and gone, another new author to me so may be interesting.

Alan Johnston - Kidnapped and Other Dispatches
I bought this for Mike, but it is only a short book and will be interesting to read about what happened to this BBC reporter, and it clears more shelf space.

Steve Strange - Blitzed
As I'd just read Midge's autobiography, I thought this would be good follow up, get SS perspective on Visage and read about the 80's which is always fun.

Les Dennis - Must the Show Go On
Another of Mike's books, and more space to be cleared, but Mike said this was a really good read, so I'll give it a go - it is more of a challenge for me reading about people I'm not very interested in but I'll take the hubby's recommendation.

Imperial War Museum Duxford
The guide book, but has lots of reading in it and it will fill in some gaps from the visits.

Michael Pennington - Hamlet A Users Guide
Mike and I are going to see Michael Pennington at MK Theatre in Sept, and I've read one of his other books, so this is one I want to read, I had planned to read it before we saw Hamlet but I never got around to it, so here goes.

William Shakespeare - Hamlet
Rather like the one above, sames worthwhile reading the text the book is talking about at the same time.

Gael Lindenfeld - The Positive Woman
Another self-development book by one of the very best in her field.
I'm not really setting a time for this list but I would like to do it in a year but maybe that is a little optimistic!!

Ciao
Sue
XX

Currently Reading -

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...