Saturday 13 February 2010

NYE and Happy New Year

Mike was working New Year's Eve Day so we had a quiet time of it. But Jamie and I had a plan up our sleeves! Jamie is relaxing with Binnie after some hard preparation work!!





We decided we would cook a special meal for Mike getting home and planned out the menu and got everything ready. Below is the menu that McJamie's was serving on New Year's Eve!



Jamie made the table look nice and now looking at this picture I realise we do need to get some glasses that match. We seem to buy a set and then slowly we break them and end up with just one from each set! It was a lovely relaxed evening.





Here Jamie thinks he is drinking Smirnoff Ice, he wasn't! well an egg cup full and lots of lemonade!! Normally he wouldn't go near lemonade - hates the stuff. And of course this is the big alcohol debate - alcohol and children. I was allowed a dilute shandy with Sunday Lunch from quite an early age, about 10 and consider myself to have and always have had a responsible attitude to alcohol. I think I may have been drunk about 5 times in my life, once at 14 after drinking sherry with a friend (not recommended - very poorly the next day), once after drinking Blastaways (Castaway and Diamond White - a lethal drink!) and Lager - again not to be recommended (and I must have been about 24 at this point!) and the most recent after an Ian McNabb gig in Bristol when I was drinking double vodkas (again not to be recommended) but I do blame the person buying them for me (Mike!!) and I must have been around 40 so old enough to know better!!


Mike was also allowed a taster and dilute shandy and again he is quite sensible and perhaps is only drunk once a year on his work Christmas do. We don't really drink very much at all and have the occasional glass of wine, shandy or beer so feel we set a fairly good example. I always let Jamie have a taste of whatever and he invariably shies away, but we feel taking the mystique out of alcohol will (hopefully) make it less attractive as he gets older and he can be sensible. Although there is bound to be the occasion/s when he will get blasted - he probably wouldn't be normal if he didn't!! And I know the argument doesn't hold up if you changed alcohol for drugs but that's the current plan!! Parenting no-one said it should be easy!


Too deep for New Year's Eve! We had a lovely meal and then watched Jools Holland and got very excited at seeing the Young Punx with Dizzy Rascal (especially Simon from the YP). We watched Big Ben, went outside into the freezing cold and watched the fireworks and then we all headed to bed as we have lots of plans for the coming year and so staying up very very late was not going to be part of them!

I hope 2009 has been good to you and I hope 2010 will be wonderful for you.



Happy New Year Everyone!


Ciao

Sue

XX

Reading challenge 10/16 - currently reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkhaban

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...