Wednesday 15 December 2010

Book Review Bones and Ashes by Kathy Reichs

Beware possible spoilers!!



I did enjoy this book, both times I read it!!  I started reading this as it had been laying about on my desk for some time, and I thought I hadn't read it.  As I progressed with the book I was thinking either Kathy Reichs is really off her game or I've read this before, I had and forgotten I'd read it.  So that is a bonus in writing this blog in that I now  review the books I've read and will always know what I've read too.  How can you forget you've read a book?  Well my excuse was I think I read it when I was ill about 3 years ago and just totally forgot!

It is a typical Kathy Reichs, lots of excellent forensic detail, lots of surprises in store in this book too regarding Tempe's private life.  As a big fan of Kathy Reichs you may expect me to be a fan of Bones, but I've never watched it.  I decided when I heard about it, that it (to me) didn't really seem to fit well with the books so I have kept to the books.  I didn't want my image of Tempe clouded by the TV characterisation and preferred to keep the Tempe I've created in my imagination from the book, rather than the TV version.

In Bones to Ashes Tempe is involved in the cases of several disappeared young girls and it reminds her of the disappearance of a friend of hers from when she was only 10, a French Canadian girl she spent several summers playing with on the beaches around her grandmothers home.  Tempe begins to wonder if the two cases could be in anyway connected.  Through a series of investigations and coincidences she does find the answers to her puzzles.  All the main characters are here Pete (Tempe's estranged husband), the gorgeous Andrew Ryan (her boyfriend) and Harry her sister.  There are two or three interesting threads running throughout the book which keep this from being lacklustre, but I am beginning to worry that Kathy Reichs may be getting a little tired and the books becoming too workmanlike and formulaic. I think she may need to up her game a little.

Perhaps not one of her best books but still an enjoyable read, even second time through.

Ciao

Sue
XX

Reading challenge 15/16 - currently reading Scarpetta by Patricia Cornwell (not off my reading challenge)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...