Tuesday 28 December 2010

Flower Ladies Wot Lunch

I had a lunch trip out with my flower arranging friends S and J, we headed over to Biscester and stopped off at Wyevale for a look around and some lunch.  Lunch is always lovely at Wyevale, I had jacket potato and salad - pretty healthy (!!).  We then had a wander around the garden centre, where S passed on her fountain of knowledge about plants and gardens.  We also spent some time looking at the containers as there were some divine outdoor containers - some maybe appearing in our garden next year (!!)

I had also spotted some pumpkins and as we were leading up to Halloween (you can see how far behind I am!!) I bought a couple.  One for Jamie to do his thing with and one for me as I wanted to do an arrangement in a pumpkin something which would be very Halloween.  The pumpkins they had were fantastic - they were enormous and £5 each which didn't seem too bad - well not until I was carrying them to the checkout and then to the car - they were heavy. 

We also had a look around their lovely Christmas decoration display where there were some really lovely items, but you would need a huge house to accommodate them!!

S needed to buy some flowers for a friend who was in hospital and rather than paying the Wyevale price for a hand tied, she just bought some flowers and I put them into an aqua-packed hand tied for her saving her about half the cost, when we got back to my house, which also gave Jamie chance to see S and say hello.  She is a mad Portsmouth football fan (her home town) and Jamie thinks that is just so cool - he can have a chat with her as she is so clued up on the team and what they are up to!!  Wyevale have a good selection of flowers in wraps, so if you want to make an arrangement there are some good choices but they are quite pricey for hand-tieds etc.  Their florists area is not really a florists shop as such just an area where there is a good selection of single flowers in wraps (good for the arranger) and a small area for hand-tied and arrangements they have made and a small workbench and till area - looking very cramped for the staff working there. 

On our way out of Wyevale there was an owl, with a lady from a rescue centre.  The owl was stunning - wish I had had a decent mobile to take a photo.  After Wyevale we headed to the wholesaler.

Of course once we got into the wholesaler we were in our element, stacks of everything we love looking at - floral foam in a variety of shapes, sizes and colours (I got some lime green foam which I love), containers in all shapes, sizes and materials (glass, wood, metal etc), all variety of sundries, pins, ribbons etc.  We also had a wander in the flowers - S and I bought a wrap of iris and split it as 10 each was more than enough.  We had a very enjoyable time and there were of course lots of oohs and aahs.  Truthfully I didn't spend too much either - just got the foam, iris and a couple of other bits.  I also had a chat with the lady who was helpful and had a chat about how I may be able to use her services in the future.



J and I did have a good look and threw around some ideas as to what we could do for the next church ladies group workshop which will have a Christmas theme.  A lovely day out with great friends.


Ciao

Sue
XX

Reading challenge 15/16 - currently reading War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...