Tuesday 28 December 2010

Flower Workshop and Floristry Class

I recently ran a flower arranging workshop for a church group run by a friend of a friend for me it served a couple of purposes to get the name of my company 'out there', act as a good bit of PR for me and to get some practice teaching - I want to take all opportunities which are presented.  It was bound to be challenging as it was the first big teaching session I had done and I had 16.
I decided to try to get the ladies to create a simple all around arrangement, which was a challenge to put together as the group had only a minimum of resources available to it.  But I managed to bring in arrangements which in terms of flowers and within their budget, helped with a lot of foliage donated by members of the group to eek out the supplies we bought. I was very ably assisted by my good friend J.



The ladies appeared to have a really enjoyable time and they all created arrangements - success in this type of workshop does not come from any of the participants creating either technically correct or amazing arrangements but from them having fun and feeling that they have achieved and created something they can take home.  All of the ladies in the group were successful in making arrangements and some were very good  making arrangements which were technically good and/or showed some flair and imagination.





Overall it was a lovely experience as the ladies and an odd man or two were lovely and great fun to be around - there were even 3 dogs there too (!!!!) and one which was the spitting image of Binnie, except she was so quiet and well behaved!! (She was a lot older than Binnie and so had slowed down a bit too!!)  I am going back to do a Christmas workshop so I guess they were happy with me!!

I also taught a floristry class (on the evening of our wedding anniversary)  and was really pleased with how the class went, got some positive feedback from the learners and lots to think about and work on in my own learning as I am at the beginning of my teaching and still have lots to learn.  The class were making basket arrangements and we spent some time discussing colour harmonies and elements and principles of design too.  For me the whole class just flew by and I felt the class probably gained by getting some alternative ideas and explanations from a different tutor to their normal tutor. 
Ciao

Sue
XX

Reading challenge 15/16 - currently reading War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...