Saturday 7 November 2009

Back to College - Week 6

And from now on the serious work has started. I haven't been around much because I have been trying to get on with that work. Assignments have started, course notes need to be kept up with and flower and foliage work needs to be done to learn all the Botanical names and of course the practical work continues apace! The first assignments are now imminent and there appears to be an awful lot of work, perhaps more than there should be!


This week at college I have been mostly doing flower arrangements (sorry that was a joke from The Fast Show). I must tell you about when Mike and I saw it live at Hammy Odeon, and Mike got just a bit too carried away!


This week we have covered stem structure in terms of identification. I do sometimes query the tutor's methods and this week she had us sit down and guess what type of stems flowers had, now I could see no earthly reason in this, as we had no idea what some of them were and guessing just meant we were wasting time potentially getting this wrong. Not sure what she was trying to achieve. As you know I have the PTLLS and if I was teaching that particular class, whilst I may have done some group work, getting the students to work out some of the more familiar flowers and foliage, I would have had some prepared handouts for the rest. This material is after all something we are being tested on later in the course, can't figure it out myself.


I was working out the prices of the flowers etc today and did pretty well, I have done ok so far with the Maths part of it, maths isn't my strongest area! Mike's Dad, the first time I met him, said Oh you have a maths degree don't you, well Mike and I were on the floor laughing and his Dad couldn't work out why. But perhaps my Maths isn't as bad as I have felt it was!!




We have covered aqua packing, costing down, (my way to work out percentages is a bit long winded, but I always get it correct!). We did a front facing symmetrical in a basket and started looking at asymmetricals (which are a particular favourite of mine) and some hand tied work too.






Ciao

Sue

XX

Reading challenge 9/16 - currently reading Lovers and Players by Jackie Collins

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...