Thursday 26 November 2009

College - Week 7

I am studying for my Level 2 Diploma in Floristry, which will be the qualification, fingers crossed, I get at the end of the course. The way the course is set up is that by completing units you get a set number of credits, and that by the end of January a student should have accumulated enough credits to have achieved first the Award and then the Certificate and then by the end of June enough credits to get the Diploma.





I guess I have spent so much time moaning about the lack of parking I haven't really explained too much about the course. It is over 3 days and is fairly intensive over those days, we get 2 X 30 minute breaks each day and the days do seem to fly past. We study a couple of units each day and do lots of practical work.





Monday is the shortest day of the week as we are finished by 3, but Monday is also a very busy day as we get our flowers into college in the morning. I guess that is always exciting as we never know what we are getting so it is always interesting to see the colour scheme we are getting for that week and the flowers we are getting. As with most things, it comes down to costs so the flowers we get each week tend to be roughly the same, roses, gerbera, carnations (select and spray), chrysanthemum and usually hard ruscus, leatherleaf and a big favourite amongst all us girls variegated pittosporum (we much prefer the small leaved variety to the larger leaved, tho' the larger leaved does work better in hand tieds I think).



Then we go onto tied arrangements which is everything from a single flower to a huge hand tied. I've included some pictures here of my work box which has to go in everyday too. We were supplied with a tool box and tools at the start of the course (paid for at enrolment, it was extra to the course costs) but that was one that you had to carry and it quickly become evident that with all the books, folders and tools something extra was needed. I had seen what June had used for flower arranging and so thought I might get something like that too. It is a mobile tool box, a tool box on wheels and it is so useful.




The top section holds all my tools and most important bits, scissors, wires, pot tape, sellotape, batteries for my camera and hand cream! Just under the handle you can see my apron and tea-towel which is totally essential.




The top section lifts out and underneath that I keep ribbon, secateurs, stapler, oasis fix, reel wires, and some other bits I've added in such as fir cones, double sided sticky tape, and tissues! I was not the only one in the class who moved onto one of these wheelable tool boxes and now nearly all of us have, of one sort or another. Sadly I never managed to track down the Black and Decker one the lady at the Thame show had - but I will find it or one like it one day and upgrade.






The bottom section is where I keep all of my folders, pencil case, water, lunch box and books and keep my handbag there too during class. It also has my camera - an essential for this course! Here it is empty but this box is so useful, I think they maybe thinking of supplying these as part of the kit for next year as standard. Binnie always has a good look in it when I empty my folders out, here she is post inspection. I think it is her way of checking where I have been! You can spot a couple of my books on the floor waiting to go upstairs.






I don't know what has happened to my photos from this week, but they will be somewhere and eventually make it onto here.


Ciao

Sue

XX

Reading challenge 9/16 - currently reading Lovers and Players by Jackie Collins

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...