Thursday 26 November 2009

Floristry Week 9 and an Assignment Back (aargh!)

Writing this so long behind now, I must catch up, and had to check my note book to see what I did at college this week.

Well the cool room that was promised a long time ago has finally arrived, although it really isn't big enough for the 3 classes that run at the college and we now have to waste further time loading buckets and flowers into and out of the cool room. One of my big disappointments with the course is the lack of organisation of many aspects, the first one is the incoming flowers. Lists must be produced to order the flowers in the first place so why these aren't then used when the flowers come in to organise which flowers go where, the gerbera are for daytime, roses night time year 2, rather than there just being some great big muddle and fuss, it is very frustrating to say the least.

The work this week, well I learnt about grading flowers checking such things as quality, thickness of stem, number of heads to a stem etc. Then it was a hand-tied in a container, gift wrapped. I still don't like hand-tied work (but I guess it is because I particularly like arrangement design work) and as we usually have the same flowers week in and week out the hand tied arrangements are quite boring.

I also did an arrangement in a vase this week which is very similar to a hand tied, but just not tied! An arrangement in a basket which is very similar to a double ended spray (but in a basket) and would be a gift type arrangement.

Wednesday starts with 'Tutorial' which includes a session where the college has dictated we have to cover such issues as alcohol, safety awareness, aids amongst others. Very useful (possibly) for the younger ones, but totally pointless for me. I am there to learn floristry skills and nothing else. There are also opportunities for one to ones should you require one, which I personally feel I would only want if there was something I wanted to discuss. The college is totally geared to the 16 -19 age range, which is all well and good but if they are going to offer places to mature students then they really need to be able to understand their different needs to ensure they too have an enjoyable learning experience. Most mature students who pay their own fees are likely to have a successful experience, they have already made the financial commitment, it focusses the mind.

Wednesday then continues with Working in the Floristry Industry and this time it was skills audits and I got an assignment back. In education now you cannot fail, you get referred and can have another go and another go. I am pleased to say I didn't get a referral and was more than happy with my grade!! So that is one down and onto the next.

After that it is funeral work for the rest of the day, which I am enjoying surprisingly! So another college week down.

Ciao

Sue

XX

Reading challenge 10/16 - currently reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkehaban

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...