Monday 20 September 2010

Bucks County Show!!!

I decided to have a go at one or two classes at The Bucks County Show, as mentioned in a previous blog, and entered a few of the domestic classes as well as the flower arranging classes (but more of those later).  I decided I would have a go at the jams, a cake, bread and the handicrafts.  I have previously blogged about the cardmaking class I entered.  Jamie also decided to have a go at a couple of classes too - although it did become even more of a family event in the end!!


Jamie's cakes - Jamie had a go at the decorated cakes class and he produced the cakes above, he got the comment of "a lovely colour palette" - he had lots of fun preparing them and fortunately there were lots of extra cakes at home for us all to enjoy.  You can't really eat anything that has been in competition as it has sat in the marquee all night and then has been judged and seen by people all of the following day.
I made some jams, a strawberry and raspberry.  I had used a different method to making them, in that I used ordinary sugar and added pectin, rather than using jam sugar which is my usual method and I ended up with a much firmer set than I usually get so I suspected I was not going to be winning any prizes!!  I didn't - but the jam does taste lovely and Jamie is working his way down the raspberry one at the moment.  The jams do have a lovely colour and flavour, which is much nicer than the shop bought varieties but they are quite solid.  I did get some nice comments about the flavour so was pleased with that!!  Silly me forgot to put a label on them well I won't forget that next year!!


I also made a Farmhouse Fruit Cake which looked very nice and the practice one I had made was delicious so I expected the second one to taste good too.  We don't have any photos of the cake, because someone had taken the wrong cake when they collected at the end of the show, so I don't even know if I had received any placing on this entry.

I had planned to make some bread too, which I had practiced but I wasn't that impressed with it really and on the day Mike made the bread as I was so busy with my flower arrangements.  I told Mike what to do at each stage and he made the bread and he won Third place for the bread, so it really was a family affair, we were all as pleased as punch for that prize.  Although we aren't sure about the comment about the tin as it was clean - I suspect it may have been the oil we used to ensure the bread didn't stick marking the bottom of the bread.  Mike was quite offended at the thought he may use a dirty tin!!




I also entered the handicrafts (as well as the card making class as mentioned before) with a scrapbook page, but that wasn't placed as there were so many really good handicrafts.  But it was jolly good fun taking part in all the classes and I suspect we will be back again next year having another go!!


Ciao

Sue
XX

Reading challenge 13/16 - currently reading If I Was by Midge Ure (struggling with this one at the moment) so I've started Angels and Demons by Dan Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...