Sunday 12 September 2010

Flowers, Church Flowers and More Flowers

Flowers have as usual played a large part over the summer holidays and I have lots of flower related stuff I have to think about for September but more of that in due course.  I made an end of term flower arrangement for Jamie's teacher, even though he is a man - why can't men be given flowers?  This is the front view of the arrangement .....


and this is the back, just a standard oval shaped posy to match the basket using roses, gerbera, and a variety of chrysanthemum ........


....I also had a go at a double ribbon using complementary colours to the flowers in the arrangement, I hope Jamie's teacher liked it!!  I hope it's the photo above that was wonky and not the arrangement (ha ha!!) but looking at it here I may have slightly moved one flower just to take a bit more room up in the greenish space I can see - I am never totally happy with any arrangement that I do!


I also did this little arrangement for my friend Andrea's 40th birthday and I think she was really happy with it too - very simple posy but pretty nonetheless!!


Here is one of the containers I purchased at the National Show in Harrogate - very useful for modern and Ikebana style arrangements and not an expensive container at all.  I had some left over Gerbera and some odd bits of foliage so just shoved them all in this container - not too bad!


I have been loving the Gerbera racquets Tesco have been selling this summer and such good value for money - these were the real thing Gerbera and not the mini Gerbera (Germini) which are slightly cheaper - I bought these for what would have worked out at 50p a stem for Gerbera which is wholesale price - fantastic.  I used some left over foliage which I had and made a very simple line arrangement with a few roses too.  I love the Dracena or Lucky Bamboo which gives a great line and adds movement and interest because of its shape - and it lasts for ever too.  I used the ones in the picture several times over the summer and they must have lasted over 2 months as they were bought for a college assignment.



You can catch a glimpse of the other container I purchased - it is silver and square and fits a foam brick end on so is very useful - I would have preferred it in black but they had sold out - but it would be easy to spray as silver can be a hard colour to use as it is so bright it can detract the eye away from the flower material.  Below is the stand I bought too, which has already been useful to sit the silver container in and allows me to play with alternative ways of display my arrangements.


I have been doing Church flowers again with my friend J, but forgot to take the camera to get some photos of what we did.  Members of the congregation will donate funds to buy the flowers in memory of loved ones and the lady who had donated for that week absolutely loved the arrangements so we considered that to be a great success - we had ended up making 6 arrangements as there were so many flowers from the previous week which were still very usable.

Us flower ladies have also started having little lunch trips out too, which is great fun - visiting garden centres, flower wholesalers and having lunch too - what more could you ask for!!

Ciao

Sue
XX

Reading challenge 13/16 - currently reading If I Was by Midge Ure

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...