Tuesday 21 July 2009

Final Floristry Class

Today was my last floristry class with Sue B for quite some time, so very sad, the big news as to why will be revealed in due course. I am booked in with Sue for a couple of Christmas arrangement classes and may book up for a couple of other Saturday classes too, but I will wait and see about those nearer the time. Lots of goodbye's today, but I do hope to meet up with some of the girls from the course here and there on other courses, through flower arranging I have met some really super women and it has been a pleasure to get to know them all a little bit.

As for today, it was quite an unusual one, but a fun one too, a cone shaped arrangement, which could be suitable for a variety of events, possibly a wedding, it has a medieval feel to me, which makes it quite unusual too. Here I have it hanging over one of Mike's speakers.


Cone shaped oasis was covered in aspidistra leaves, which were pinned on and then decorated with grass and beads. This gave it a bit of a biker/rock and roll feel, I thought using black leaves and studs you could give it a real "hell's angels, heavy rock" type effect, you could use it for a biker's wedding! The same grass was used to make the handle which was further decorated with bullion wire.



The flowers used were gerbera, roses, chrysanthamum, fern, feverfew and unusually spider plant leaves. This arrangement looks as though, kept well watered it should last well. The photo below gives a closer look at the handle, I think the bullion wire really sets the handle off and the beads and pins work well too, although they were fiddly, hard going on the eye-sight and quite time consuming to start with, but well worth it as this is such a different style.

My second arrangement is a button-hole, which I did myself, to have another go. I am quite pleased with this one, button-holes are very fiddly, and require some practice to get right. Here is my attempt.



A very simple button-hole, one rose, 3 ivy leaves, all are wired and pinned where necessary. The practice comes in, getting the stitches in the ivy as small as possible, so they are as invisible as possible but strong enough to allow the leaf to be manipulated.

Here it is completed with it's pin ready for the wedding! My own self-evaluation would be the stem is too short, but other than that, quite pleased.

Ciao

Sue

XX

Reading challenge 3/16 - currently reading Pop Babylon by Imogen Edwards-Jones
Jamie's Reading challenge 2/12 - currently reading Bed and Breakfast Star by Jacqueline Wilson SLYMI - 1/52

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...