Monday 6 July 2009

Jamie's Sports Day

Tuesday 30th June

Lots going on today - the first I'm not saying anything about just yet - but just to say this - it is a major major project I am going to be involved in but will wait until all the i's are dotted and t's are crossed. But I am very very excited about it and the things I needed to do today related to it, all went extremely well. Because of that I wasn't able to go to Floristry class as usual today but I am going on Thursday instead.

Also I wasn't able to go to Jamie's sports day at school today, which I am sad about, but he understood why and was pretty cool about it. Sports and PE are not number one on Jamie's list of things to do at school, but he always tries his best and there is not anymore that you can ask than that. Mike went along armed with lots of drinks of water as today was very very hot.


The first half was a series of tasks and challenges done in teams, a far more enjoyable way involving and encouraging all, whatever their sporting ability. The second half was more competitive with races. Jamie completed the 400m race but was pretty exhausted at the end of it apparently - when I picked him up from school later he told me all about it and he had (in his words) "a nervous breakdown and was unconscious" at the end of it. My darling boy has been known to exaggerate on occasion and I believe this may have been one. He did his best, put the effort in and that is all we can ask and I am very proud of him for the effort he did put in.



Although sports day is not always one of the favourite events to attend in our family, simply because, just like some people when they get behind the wheel of a car, some people get uber competitive on behalf of their children at these events. Sadly school sports days can be like that too. It reminds me of several years ago when we enrolled Jamie in a football after school activity, it was aimed at 5 - 9 year olds. Mike took him to the first one and was scathing when he got home about some of the behaviour of some of the parents. He felt the level of sideline parental advice was utterly disproportionate to what the course was trying to achieve. Fathers shouting advice about crossing the ball, telling them when to shoot for goal and then groaning and moaning when they missed.

Mike suggested I go along the following week to see what I thought. So I did and it felt like a cauldron, way too much pressure being put onto children who ought to have been their to develop skills, team interaction but most of all to have FUN. Jamie didn't go to anymore after that and we found him a fantastic tennis class instead where the emphasis was on fun, learning ball skills and playing with other children, Paul the coach was fantastic as he was a stickler for good manners too. I remember once a child burped (not Jamie thankfully!) and didn't say pardon and Paul pulled him up for it. Jamie had 3 enjoyable years playing tennis with Paul, he may never be a good tennis player but at least he enjoyed what he was doing.

Don't get me wrong I am not against competition, at the right time and place it is essential but I do think it has to be proportionate to the age and circumstances of the child or children. I believe in encouraging and the only thing I push Jamie to do is tidy up his bedroom!

Ciao

Sue

XX

Reading challenge 3/16 - currently reading Pop Babylon by Imogen Edwards-Jones
Jamie's Reading challenge 1/12 - currently reading Clean Break by Jacqueline Wilson
SLYMI - 1/52

4 comments:

  1. It was a cool sports day and I really liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed it Jamie and I know you tried you best, I'm just sorry I wasn't able to be there to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sue, found your blog through BlogCatalog.

    I have added your blog to Bloogers cafe, you'll find it at:
    http://avarchives.blogspot.com/
    listed under Mom's Blogs. I haven't reviewed it, just listed at the moment.

    Good luck

    AV

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for looking and listing - all feedback is welcomed. I'm just having a bit of fun and creating a bit of a family archive, hopefully! Just have a bit of catch up to do now!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...