Thursday 8 October 2009

Tuesday and Wednesday

Tuesday and we are back to our flower arrangement unit, it was time to practice the all round loose posy, first with and then without a candle, which you can see below. I am fairly happy with both of those, one or two minor bits, but largely ok. I can't say the flowers this week are my own personal taste, I am not even convinced they work well together but I won't be able to choose what customers want in their orders from me, so I guess I have to live with that.





As for parking, Mike dropped me in today, which worked out well so no hassle for me today!

Lots of flowers on Tuesday, as in the evening it was Flower Club and this month it was members evening, which is where members of the club demonstrate rather than us having an outside demonstrator. It was a lovely evening, sadly after remembering my camera this month, it died on me and I was only able to get one decent shot. Sylvia, my flower arranging mentor did the final demo excellently and she did her 'party piece' which was lovely. But don't tell her my favourite of the night was the one from Martin, one of the very very few men in the group which was stunning and the only decent photo I managed to get. June won one of the arrangements in the raffle and choose Sylvia's! Note for me, next year I do a demonstration!




Martin did his arrangement in a cauldron which looked super and a fantastic idea for a Halloween or Bonfire Party or event. He even managed to have a fire under it too! Brilliant!


Wednesday I was late in again, as I had to take Jamie to school and by the time I got to where I now park there was only one space left, so I was very very lucky! Although by the time I got in, I hadn't really missed much as it is Tutorial on a Wednesday morning, or from my perspective, a waste of time. This week we had to watch a totally pointless DVD, totally aimed at the younger student, but of course that is where the funding is. God forbid they actually acknowledge that they have an older student too, and in my group the majority are mature students, and me at 44 is not the oldest person on the course - 3 of us are 40+!! In the end 3 of us 'olderies' (is it a word, it is now!) were in tears at the naffness and pointlessness of the whole thing!

Then it was onto our funeral work, and another go at a double ended spray and hooray, I have been signed off on mine, so I don't have to do that one again, that is it, a big tick in that box! Here is mine below and I am pleased with it, as it has a good strong line, throughout, with carnations, backed up by gerbera and limonium (which I totally totally hate and would never ever use if given the choice - it is nicely coloured but just looks naff!) I tried very hard to tone down the foliage, and it has worked, although the cupressus was just about past its sell by date so it was easy not to use too much.




After that it was my first go at a loose wreath and I do not like mine at all. Why, well it looks far too compact and cramped together, you don't seem to be able to view the beauty of each flower and surely that is the whole point of a floral tribute. The foliage seemed too big, it may have been better with smaller pieces of foliage, but the leaves on them seemed too big too. I personally think it looks awful awful awful. I had to leave early to let Mike get back to work after he had collected Jamie from school and got soaked to the skin walking back to the car, so wasn't a happy bunny by the time I got home. And I was tired again too! Must get more sleep! So that was week three at college!


Jamie had Jake over for tea and play tonight, so that was great fun for them. Mike and I enjoyed a quiet dinner together later watching Spooks and chilling out.

Ciao

Sue

XX

Reading challenge 8/16 - currently reading Lovers and Players by Jackie Collins
Jamie's Reading challenge 5/12 - currently reading Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull by James Luceno
SLYMI - 1/52

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...