Friday 23 April 2010

College Spring Term Week 8

As you can imagine things were a little fractious this week at college, in more ways than one. First because of the email I had sent to my tutor and secondly because there are some cracks beginning to show in the class (more of that at some point but not in this one!)

I had by this point sent out a handful of letters to some local florists with my CV and some photos and explained about the work placement I needed to complete my course and would be in a position to phone them later in the week, so I was pleased with what I had done, at this stage as much as I could. And of course I wanted to hear what college had to say, although I have to say my expectations were not high.

Having been around the block as you might say, I was also prepared and had approached Hannah to see if she would be available to act as a scribe/witness in any meeting I may end up having at college over the complaint I had made. I had also complained about the amount of work which was still outstanding on the course and this is the second part of the email I sent

"Practical Assessments

Further I have looked through the outstanding practical assessments and the numbers of weeks left and again have a grave concern over the number of assessments and time left in which to complete them. I for one would request the opportunity to do an assessment each week from now, as well as a day when there is the opportunity to do more than one (ie the assessment days). I do not particularly welcome the potential overload towards the end of the course. Next week I would like to do my Unit 206 Ci Basket Arrangement open/posy style with handle – costed down – pro forma 2. "

My tutor said that her boss would be attending a meeting with me regarding this and she offered me the next day. I said to her that I was happy to have a meeting with her and R but it would have to be at a mutually convenient time as I would be bringing someone with me (I think she didn't like this much!!). So the next date she was able to offer me was 10th March, which was over a week away! So more of this one later!!

As for the floristry - here are some photos from this week ......

Hair decorations, gypsophilia (above) and not miniature calla lilies but rolled rose leaves below .....

A rose, two small narcissus flowers and a chrysanthemum .... I really think chrysanthemums should be given a rethink as they are lovely flowers, available in such a wide variety of shapes, sizes and colours and are so economical because they are not expensive and they last so long. An article for the future why I love chrysanthemums!



Here is a corsage in situ on the class room dummy ......


made of ivy leaves hyacinth pips, narcissus, waxflower - all wired!


Below is a modern 'pew end/chair back decoration', in this case attached to one of the college chairs!


and here to our classroom artificial pew end ........


I had wrapped mine with aspidistra leaf around the stem to match the aspidistra leaf used in the main part of the arrangement and then finished it with some bullion wire.

Below is the start of the Display unit, I am working with J for my window and in-store displays, floral foam is not an exciting item to display but I think we have done a good job in our first session - we now have to plan our displays which will happen in May.





The planted design unit, not too much of a challenge at the moment and I love this one below. I think I will try to use this a bit more at home too, and lovely to make something like this as a gift, but maybe in a pretty container and not college green!!




Ciao
Sue
Reading challenge 10/16 - currently reading Songbird by Josephine Cox.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...