Saturday 12 June 2010

College Summer Term Week 5

Lots of work this week and lots of assignments too.  Below is my mossed cushion with points or corners in a modern textured style.  This is looking a little worse for wear as it had to stay at college to be re-assessed.  I wanted to do a cushion as I had already done one in the foam version and loved the style.  It is more modern and textured which I love.  But college were unable to source the wire frame which I needed to complete the assignment.  I managed to get hold of some, but they were larger than the ones we would be required to use for the assessment as we only get a limited amount of time to complete assessments. 


I had brought the frame in for my tutor to have a look at well in advance of the assessment and she was OK with using a larger version and said she would give me extra time.  When it came to the assignment she didn't and then marked me down for not covering part of the the sides of the design, which I didn't have time to do.  The inconsistency is one of the things which truly frustrates me about the course, you have to be totally organised and on the ball, as what is said to you on one occasion appears to be forgotten the next time.  So when she gave me feedback and I had only got a Merit and she explained why, I queried the extra time that we had discussed previously and said why had I not been given it.  I was then allowed the extra time to complete it as I would have liked to have done and it was re-assessed and I got my Distinction!!



Below is my hand tied assessment, which I got a Distinction for, amazingly as I think it looks dreadful.  My tutor thought it looked modern.  I burst out laughing when she said I had got a Distinction (I will probably pay for that at some point!!).





We covered some novelties this week too and here are 3 that I did, a wand (with a sad looking gerbera), a brooch or wired corsage and a modern/contemporary corsage.  I love these!




I love working with the coloured wires and will be experimenting with these in the coming months.  I've removed the flowers once they died off and this is a lovely brooch/badge now, which looks great against a black jumper.

A closer look at the wand, quite a simple thing to do really, again teamed with a wired badge and again in some of my favourite colours!!



A modern contemporary corsage, backed with tree bark and using wire, all matching a possible wedding theme - I am loving the modern style.


An assessment piece - a cake topper from the function decorating unit, I got a distinction for this item - a nice simple piece to do - halfway through the assessments from the function decorating unit now!!


Ciao

Sue
XX

Reading challenge 10/16 - currently reading Songbird by Josephine Cox

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...