Monday 18 May 2009

Sunday 17th May

This morning I had a lovely lovely lie in and only surfaced at around 10.00 am. Mike had gone to work and Jamie had been 'chillin out' watching TV and playing xbox, he loves doing that first thing on a morning and tries really hard not to wake me/us so that he can play undisturbed! Cheeky monkey!

I finished my book last night, 'The Village Green Affair' by Rebecca Shaw and thoroughly enjoyed it. This was the first of the Turnham Malpas Series I have read, but will be reading all the others in due course. I enjoy reading books that are written in series and have read quite a few over the years. Currently I am working my way through a Dr Who series, Torchwood, Len Deighton's Bernard Samson and most favourite Sue Grafton's Alphabet series.

This is the 13th novel in the series but I didn't have any trouble picking up what was going on in the village and who was who. It had been discovered that an ancient charter allows a market to be held on the village green, so Titus Bellamy, a local businessman who currently runs several markets has decided to run one in Turham Malpas. This decision does not go down too well with many of the residents and they begin a fight to get rid of the market. At the same time long standing residents Liz and Neville Neale are celebrating their 25th wedding anniversary but all is not well in the marriage. When Liz and Titus meet, the attraction is instant and not just the quick passing lust, but a deep and sincere love which overwhelms both of them. The novel has a couple of very disturbing twists and a pretty shocking conclusion. The market brings many unsavoury characters to the village which allows for a humourous sub-plot of Grandma Katherine Charter-Plackett playing the Hetty Wainthrop role and assisting the police investigating the increase in petty crime due to the market.


I found the novel enjoyably readable and the characters so likable, it was a joy. This was a reflection of village life in all its glory and minutiae, sharing the joys and sadness's of normal everyday life. I can't wait for the next one and will enjoy catching up on the history of all of these characters.

Jamie was at the birthday party of one of his school friends today. Now I am normally running to catch up with myself most of the time, but for once had got ahead of myself and arrived at the venue, to find no-one had any idea of a party or even where children's birthday parties were held. When I did find someone I realised I was half and hour early, hooray finally early to something! We filled in the time getting some petrol and arrived back spot on time for the party. Jamie had a thoroughly brilliant time at the golf party and is back there in a couple of weeks so he is eagerly looking forward to that.


Whilst Jamie was at the party I headed off to Frosts at Woburn Sands to choose some flowers for an arrangement I needed to make on Monday. I manged to find what I was looking for. When I am looking for flowers I try not go out with a precise shopping list, as sometimes, you just cannot find what you particularly need. I was pleased as I found pretty much what I needed and knew I would be able to make the arrangement I had in mind. I had already found the perfect vase for the arrangement and knew it would suit the person the gift was for perfectly.


Other than leaving everything ready and waiting for the carpet fitters to arrive, bright and early on Monday morning, well here's hoping, we chilled for the rest of the day and did all of the Sunday evening jobs, such as shower, hair (including head-lice shampoo) and getting bags, uniforms and lunchboxes ready.


Head-lice are a constant battle for parents and schools these days, but (touch wood, big touch wood), Jamie has so far never had them and I swear it is down to the shampoo and conditioner he uses at least once a week. It contains tea-tree oil and seems to do the trick, if you are plagued with them, give that shampoo a go, it has worked for us!

Ciao

Sue

XX

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...