Friday 8 May 2009

Tuesday 5th May - A Busy Day!

Currently listening to a few of my Napster favourites, which includes Metallica (that always brings a smile to my face!)

Floristry Class

Today was a hand tied bouquet. The colours were some of my favourites, with yellow roses, cream, lemon and green carnations. It was going to be either a bride or bridesmaid’s bouquet and fairly simple in design. Hand tied arrangements are not easy and the best way to become really good at them is to practice, practice, practice. It is all down to how you hold them in your hand and to be able to allow them to spiral. Sue, the tutor, suggested that even if we got it right, we should take it apart and have another go, just for the practice, it wasn’t a suggestion which was warmly welcomed. I didn’t do too badly with my first attempt, but did take it apart and have another go. I think I got the colour balance a little better second time around.



Once I was happy with it came the tying up, that’s when you feel you need two pairs of hands. Although once tied I was pretty happy with it! Then I got to use Mikado sticks for the first time and after measuring and wiring them put the pearls on (lime green again lovely!) and rather than do a cage over the top of the bouquet I placed them around the outside. I finally tied lime green organza ribbon and a bow around the stems and it was complete. I am actually pretty pleased for only my third hand tied.

My Lovely Green Bow


Coton Manor

Bluebells as far as the eye could see.


Later in the day I met up with some of my flower arranging chums and we went to Coton Manor where the Flower Club was having a private visit. Sylvia was very familiar with the place so she did the honours and drove the other 3 of us there.



Once there she quickly guided us to Bluebell Wood so we could see it before the rest of the club made their way down. Sylvia had promised us something very special, but it exceeded all of my expectations, it was astonishing. There are over 5 acres of bluebells and once you walk into the middle of the wood there are bluebells in every direction you look. Breathtaking is the only way to describe it, it was an absolute joy to see.


When we could eventually pull ourselves away we explored the rest of the garden. There were also some unusual ducks, some flamingos and a parrot; the chickens had gone to bed! The borders must be something to behold in the summer when they are in full bloom and I look forward to going back again to see them. Amongst the highlights for me was the wonderfully scented wisteria on the manor house, the variety of unusual coloured tulips and the very unusual blue poppy, which matched the beak of one of the ducks!


Wow! What a colour!


I can highly recommend a visit to Coton Manor (www.cotonmanor.co.uk), it also has a nice tea room, the coffee was strong (!) and the cake delicious. A very enjoyable visit.


The Manor House and Wisteria


Ciao

Sue

XX

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...