Friday 15 May 2009

Tuesday 12th May

Tuesday 12th May

Off to Floristry class again this morning and I am starting to really enjoy these. Today we did what can only be described as a confection (!). Individually they may look a little unusual, but they did look good when there was a whole table of them all in a row. They would probably look good as table decorations at a children's birthday party or at a wedding. Adding crystals may give them an extra zing too. I think the crucial element is to use good quality feathers. I used pink carnations here, but roses would work well too.


This arrangement starts as a glass candlestick, oasis is cut into a round shape and placed very firmly onto the candlestick and then taped in place. This is an arrangement which really benefits from using white oasis, green would not work. The feathers, marabou in this instance are placed all over the oasis, placing them in at a variety of angles. I made sure I varied both the angles of the feathers and kept turning the candlestick to try to ensure an even distribution of feathers and to maintain the round shape of the arrangement. The flowers are added at the end and I like them just peering out of the feathers.



As the arrangement was fairly simple, we finished early and so had some time to practice bow making which is essential to every florist. I was pretty happy with this one and despite the old saying of (blue and green should not be seen), I think these colour work well together. On my shopping list for a visit to the wholesaler will be some ribbon to practice my bow making skills.


Today we have also started the second room which needs painting this year - the hall stairs and landing. Mike did a fantastic job getting the ceilings painted (which on the stairs is never an easy task) and all the prep work done by the time I had got home. He cracked on for the rest of the day and got most of the walls out of the way, but they will need a second coat.




A work in progress

I went on the hunt for a suitable border, which proved difficult last time and this time is proving to be even harder. All the ones I found were quickly discounted and headed to the recycling bin, so I will be heading out again tomorrow to see what else I can find. Although I did find some lovely wallpapers, and brought some samples home with me, not to go on the walls but to be used for scrapbooking!



Mike hard at work



Ciao

Sue

XX

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...