Friday 26 June 2009

Can't Quite Believe What Has Happened

Thursday 25th June - Michael Jackson is Dead

Got on with all the usual stuff today, a very normal and typical day. I was looking after Kian after school for a few hours, so collected him from school along with Jamie. We haven't seen much of him lately, Jamie and Kian must have had a little spat but things appear to be fine and dandy again now. I have to try not to intefere or get too involved, which is not easy for me. I have to let Jamie sort some things out for himself now, but oh it is difficult. I don't get it right all the time, but I am getting better at it!

We had a lovely dinner of spaghetti bolognese and J and K played, albeit being very noisy! After Kian went home, I made sure Jamie's project was ready to hand in and all I needed to do was finish off making a small cuddly grey stuffed animal squirrel. I thought it would only take me short time, but it took me hours and hours and hours! So whilst I was doing that I was flicking through the TV channels.

Well - I guess it is going to be one of those moments where you will always remember where you were, like Elvis (on holiday at Stratford upon Avon with my Mum and Dad), Lockerbie (at my Dad's), Princess Diana (Mike and I were at my Dad's again!) and 9/11 (I had been shopping with Jamie and Mike was on nights - I had to wake him up!). It seemed as though the news was going to be bad as soon as I saw the headline, sometimes you just get a gut feeling about these things, but the BBC waited until it was confirmed, Michael Jackson was dead. Whenever there is anything this major I always need to have the BBC on, it is like that tried and trusted friend and a kindof comfort zone too, something familiar.

In a way it didn't surprise me, he never did look well or strong but it will still have an enormous impact on a lot of people, all around the world and in so many walks of life, and not least his family. There are bits of his music which I like but I have never been a big fan of his, but I can appreciate the unique position he holds in the history of 'pop' music. He certainly was a complex person and maybe we will never know exactly who he was and what the reasons were behind some of the things he did. It is always sad when someone is beginning to claw their way back and they get thwarted in the most tragic and cruel ways. And most of all, it is his three children who need love, care and support at this time, their loss will be unimaginable.

I always find the role of the media during these major events interesting, but I do have to question whether it was necessary for us to be shown them unloading his body from the helicopter into the Coroner's van. Surely, no matter who you are you should be allowed the dignity to not have that broadcast for public consumption, and as it was in this case, over and over again. I may continue that one tomorrow. But for now RIP Michael Jackson.

Ciao

Sue

XX

Reading challenge 2/16 - currently reading T is for Trespass by Sue Grafton
SLYMI - 1/52

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...