Tuesday 9 June 2009

Flowers. Flowers and More Flowers

I somehow managed to drag myself out of bed and get to my floristry class. I'm pleased to say we were doing a line arrangement rather than wiring or anything complicated. I am very fond of line arrangements so was pleased with this one. I really liked using hosta leaves, sadly I forgot to take a photo when I brought it home, so it is now looking a little sad in this photo. In class we also used white Dahlia, but they quickly died and so I've replaced them with yellow chrysanthemums, which also work well.


I had hoped in the afternoon to make an arrangement to enter the competition at Flower Club this evening, but due to my feet killing me (because of my blisters) I didn't manage to make the arrangement, but I will have a go at it at some point during the week, the theme was to be Golden Jubilee.

Here is my arrangement for Golden Jubilee which I made a few days later, sadly by the time I took the photo some of the flowers had just started to go over, but I think it gives an idea of what I was attempting to do. My only regret was that my fav florist didn't have 3 of the large orange gerbera, that bothered me everytime I looked at it, because I could tell it needed the extra gerbera!

This evening I met up with Syliva, June and Rebecca at Flower Club. It was an expensive evening as I joined tonight and also paid for my place on the trip to Coventry, but I am loving my flowers and flower arranging these days. The club is a real pleasure and everyone has been so welcoming.

Tonight there was a demonstration by Susie Barwick, who talked about her life in Africa, and gave us a flavour of African in flowers, her demo was called 'Out of Africa'. She was a fantastic demonstrator, full of great designs, useful tips and a warm and fun personality. Whilst making her creations she regaled us with some very funny stories about some of her exploits in Africa, several of them involving swimming and crocodiles! She was truly inspiring.

She made some truly breathtaking arrangements and it is very difficult to pick a favourite ... Susie started off with this one, which represents a flamingo, it's stunning.



I am so excited by the arrangements she demonstrated that I really want to have a go at them myself, but am going to have to think how I can modify the one below to work in our house or spend some time making a similar structure. Wow I love this one, the Gloriosa she used look so spectacular.


Then came the one below, which I think is my favourite, she has used only one colour, but what an impact it makes, the photo does not do it justice. I am so full of admiration of her abilities.


This arrangement represents an African water spirit (possibly Mami Wata) and I think it is brilliant - I am going to have a go at an arrangement something like this - I just have to work out the mechanics of the spiral.

This is a double arrangement, and again Susie is so clever as this represents the sun setting over water - I am blown away by her creativity. The gerbera and calla look so good together.



She finished off with this amazing pedestal arrangement, which is stunning, the rose is Avalanche and is so beautiful. I love pedestal arrangements and this one is superb.

Ciao

Sue

XX
(reading challenge 0/16)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...