Thursday 11 June 2009

Joseph and His Dreamcoat Again!

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat at Northampton Derngate - Friday 5th June

Another usual Friday, but doesn't Friday always have that little bit extra about it, I guess 'cos the weekend is coming. All the usual bits done and dusted ready for this evening.

Jamie and I headed out at about 7pm, off to Northampton to see Joseph, yet again. We are fiends for JATATD and have now seen it 6 times (bad I know), but we love it.

We've seen it at:-

Milton Keynes Theatre - can't remember who played Joseph;

Adelphi Theatre - with Lee Mead

Adelphi Theatre - with Lewis Bradley

Dunstable - can't remember who played Joseph

Northampton - Craig Chalmers as Joseph (2008)

Northampton - Craig Chalmers as Joseph (2009).

Jamie and I watched the BBC 'Any Dream Will Do' every week and totally loved it, my fav was Lewis and/or Keith (depending on the day!), Jamie loved Lewis and we voted for him in the final quite a few times, I'm a bit embarrassed to say! Jamie was so into it that we have now also seen quite a few of the 'Josephs' in one show or another.

Lee Mead - in Joseph

Lewis - at Aylesbury in a songs from the musical and then in Joseph

Seamus - in Evita

Anthony - in the touring Joseph

Craig - in the touring Joseph (twice)

Daniel Boys - as support for John Barrowman (I must catch up with the review for that and a couple of blogs around that date),

which now leaves 6 to see, although I have protested that I do not want to see Chris (or as we called him Chris with the teeth) under any circumstances, just one of those things, his teeth annoyed me, sorry don't know why but they just did. Next one possibly Ben, if he is still in Hairspray.

The production was pretty much the same as we saw last time, Craig plays Joseph very well and has lost a lot of his 'cabaret entertainer' mannerisms and become more 'stagey', he was in good voice and appeared to be enjoying himself. He got a great reception. Sadly The Derngate was only about half to two thirds full, although it meant Jamie and I had a box all to ourselves which was yummy. Joseph was at The Derngate last year and is at MK Theatre in a few weeks time so perhaps the audience was spread out. We know and love all the songs and are singing away quietly!

The real star of the show for me was Sam Cassidy, the young man who played Benjamin, I will be looking out for his name in the future. He had real star quality, the kind of John Barrowman type, can't take your eyes off him when he is on stage thing! He was the best Benjamin I have seen. Now whether it had anything to do with his long blonde hair, good looks and cheeky persona who knows, but I suspect I'm nearly old enough to be his Mum, now behave Sue!

We bought Craig's CD, which we played on the way home and actually it was jolly good, quite a few nice songs on it, and one of my fav's too Run To Me, an old Bee Gees song (I've been playing Andy Gibb a bit recently too, I do every so often, it was tragic that we lost him so young). As Craig was signing them afterwards, I said to Jamie do you want to meet him, so he said yes, although when it was our turn (and the queue was only short about 4 or 5 ahead of us) he turned really shy. We then waited whilst he signed a couple more and then he did some photos, here is the photo of Jamie with him.


We had an enjoyable evening. Now if Andrew Lloyd Webber or Bill Kenwright sees this, do you think you could sort out a production of Jesus Christ Superstar as I would really love to see that one again, TIA guys!

Ciao

Sue

XX
(reading challenge 0/16 - currently reading Only Dad by Alan Titchmarsh)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...