Sunday 7 June 2009

Sunday 31st May - A Distressing Day

Although not as bad as it sounds - distressing only as far as that's what I've been doing - it's back to the home decor again! As we've decided not to have a border in the hallway etc, I thought I would brighten up the small shelf and coat hook and change them from the gold (which matched the old border), and have a go at distressing them. I don't think Mike was overly keen on the idea but I was gonna give it a go anyway - we really didn't have anything to lose.




The shelf and coat hook we'd bought about 6/7 years ago and not really paid too much for them, so they'd definitely paid for themselves (as we say up North!). I gave them both several coats of paint, first gentle fawn, then raspberry diva and then ivory lace, allowing each to dry. I then rubbed them back in different areas exposing each of the previous colours in different places, then gave them a coat of varnish. I finally completed both today and Mike was able to put them up. Much to his surprise (not mine!) they worked really well. We also changed the position of the shelf slightly to make it more accessible to the height challenged members of the household (that would be me!) and I have to say we are both really pleased with the result.

I now have some more distressing to do, on some bits in our bedroom, it's amazing how much lightening up some wooden items brightens up a room even more. I have a couple more finishing touches for the hallway and then we can say it is completely complete. More pics to follow.

Ciao

Sue

XX

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...