Tuesday 23 June 2009

Saturday 20th June

Our Day

We were planning to have a quiet day and we did just that, the weather was pretty good and we pottered and relaxed. We've been trying to find a few minutes to get the garden tidy and we have got most of it clean and cleared now, Mike just has the job of preserving all the garden furniture, which he is hoping to do over the next couple of weeks, Aylesbury Friars allowing!

Jamie had his friend G around to play this afternoon, she is a gorgeous, feisty blonde and they have been friends since nursery school, oh yes and she has a smile that can melt your heart! Jamie most of the time is noisy, G is noisy, but put them together and they play brilliantly, no hassle or problems at all today and they are quiet. I just need to know how does that work? G is a little bit afraid of Binnie but got more used to her this afternoon. They wanted to call for another friend who lives close by, but I am protective mum and will not let Jamie go out on his own yet, so we said next time when we can arrange it with L's Mum. They had a lovely afternoon rounded off with pizza and ice-cream. Mike and I ate later, we had an Indian takeaway, how naughty was that!

Parenting Dilemmas

Jamie is now at that age, where some of his friends are allowed to go out and knock for friends to play, he isn't. Whilst he accepts that fact and understands the reasons we have given him, it is one of the issues that can be a challenge. I don't believe that they are wrong and we are right, I just believe that we do things differently, they do what suits their family and we do what suits ours and that is what we try to explain to Jamie. We are lucky to have a small play area at the end of our street and Jamie is allowed to play there on his own for now and for Mike and I that is enough. Jamie has been very good in respecting the boundaries we have set for him and that is pleasing and reassuring and he knows in due course we will extend them. I think you just have to have the confidence and belief that you are making the right decision for your child and family, I'm a great believer in gut instinct and that if it feels wrong, then it probably is wrong. But I'd love to know what other parents think.

The Stone Rose by Jacqueline Rayner (possible spoilers)*
*just as a warning I will do my best not to spoil the plot!



We love Doctor Who in this house, in all its forms (TV, DVD, toys, magazines, collectors cards, exhibitions, audio books and books) and I have enjoyed reading all of the books in this series so far. I'm working my way through a box set of 10 novels, and this is the 7th in the series. I also have to confess that I had already heard this story on audio CD, but I still really enjoyed it.

This is a complex story, with, in Doctor Who speak, much crossing of time lines, backwards and forwards time travel and potential paradoxes, for the need to get my head around all of that it was an enjoyable read. The story starts at The British Museum where Micky Smith has found a statue that looks just like Rose, so the Doctor and Rose head off to Ancient Rome to investigate. They quickly become embroiled in a mystery when they meet Gracilis, whose son has disappeared and they help him, of course when would Rose and the Doctor not come to someone's aid. The story leads Rose to become a model for a sculptor, Ursus, and the Doctor visits many of the famous sights of Rome. They also come to the aid of a slave girl Vanessa who it is believed can predict the future, but she is not all that she appears.

Where the book is so successful is in portraying the characters of Rose and The Doctor, they are just as you have grown to love them from the television series and the relationship between them is drawn beautifully. The story cleverly hints at all of the undercurrents in their relationship and you feel their bond very strongly. The story is pacey and I found, whilst reading it relatively quickly I was always wanting to read just a few more pages even if I was very tired. The story for me comes into its own when it begins to explain how all of the events have taken place and how it describes multi-layered time-travel. A jolly good read, lots of fun and I'm looking forward to the next one.


Ciao

Sue

XX

Reading challenge 2/16 - currently reading T is for Trespass by Sue Grafton
SLYMI - 1/52

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...