Tuesday 30 June 2009

Friday 26th June


This morning, we, like the rest of the world were looking at the news, trying to digest it and thinking - I wonder what has happened. I hope that Michael Jackson's family, friends and most especially his children are given the time, space and support they need to come to terms with their tragedy. And that most of all the media leave them alone to grieve. I fully appreciate MJ's role in music history, but whilst he was never a fave of mine, do feel that like so many others his music along with many others too does form the backdrop to all of our lives.


Jamie headed off to school this morning with his project and Bushy the squirrel, I never realised a small cuddly toy would take so long to make, tucked safely under his arm. Well all was good -Jamie got 10 merits for his project (the highest in his class, along with another boy (proud Mummy boast there, sorry)), it was a good project, so now he has set the standard! Clearly the trick is to get him to do his project on the computer - lesson learnt!


I had a busy day, as later in the day it was the school summer fayre. I was going to make a couple of flower arrangements as raffle prizes. I thought I would go down the easy route with one and make my favourite line arrangement, and was lucky enough to find some stunning roses in Asda, the arrangement looked fab. For the second I thought I would do a hand-tied arrangement, with roses, carnations, gyposphilia and soft ruscus. I am not totally competent at hand-tieds but I think it looked OK and managed to remember how to tie the cellophane so I could pour water into it and have it stand. And silly me forgot to take a photograph of it or the cakes!


After I had finished those I started making cakes. I decided to make tiny cakes, in petite four cases. The children just love them as they are one or two bites big! Rather than have a lot of fuss I cheated and used a packet mix, or rather a shake and bake mix. I will use them again as they were so convenient and I had cakes in the oven in less than 5 minutes flat! I made about 48 little cakes, sadly I didn't get a picture of them, and decorated them with melted chocolate, sprinkles, buttons etc. They always go down well with the children. And they must have done, because by the time we got to the cake stall there were none left, none for us to buy to bring home, poor Jamie, Mike and me - we were looking forward to a couple of those with a cup of tea!


There were plenty of others cakes and biscuits so Jamie managed to get himself some, he had a drink and a hot dog too! Then he had a go on several of the stalls, lucky dip, tombola, lucky lollies etc and bought himself a little car on the toy stall. The fayre was very much orientated towards the children making it, running it and for their fun, which was good. He enjoyed himself. Some stalls had managed to make it outside as the weather had not been good during the day. By the time we walked home, it was very hot indeed! It turned out to be very successful raising over £1000 so a good afternoon all round.


We chilled out for the rest of the evening, Jamie did his guitar practice as the Music Festival is now less than a week away - when you have children you feel as though you get one thing out of the way and then there is the next - and I wouldn't change it for anything!


Ciao

Sue

XX

Reading challenge 2/16 - currently reading T is for Trespass by Sue Grafton
Jamie's Reading challenge 1/12 - currently reading Clean Break by Jacqueline Wilson
SLYMI - 1/52

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...