Sunday 2 August 2009

Book Review - Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll



I have to be honest and say I have struggled with this book, perhaps it's for the same reason I don't like cartoons or comics, I just don't get them, and I feel the same about this book. I just don't get it. It reads like a totally drug fuelled, addled mind, hallucinatory dream. (Or maybe that is what it is supposed to be).


Yes, it is creative, well written and the characters created are amazing, I personally like The Duchess, but I just read the book and didn't feel it. I'm not even sure I like Alice, she is in this most amazing world and just treats it all as if it is an ordinary day - or maybe that is what makes her special. If after you've drunk something that has changed your size she goes on eating and drinking, shrinking and getting bigger - surely you'd have learnt your lesson the first time! On the other hand she meets all these bizarre situations with a level head much belying her years.

I have read that the book may be an allegory for the politics of the time and if that was the case then that went straight over my head too. I guess there are books you just don't enjoy, but saying that when I was reading out loud to Jamie I enjoyed it more, so perhaps it is a book which needs to be seen through a child's eyes, perhaps as Alice was seeing her adventure. Although the other interpretation of the book is that we need to keep a part of us forever childlike. I don't think this book was for me.



Bed and Breakfast Star by Jacqueline Wilson








To follow






Ciao

Sue

XX

Reading challenge 5/16 - currently reading The Prehistoric Monuments of Avebury
Jamie's Reading challenge 2/12 - currently reading
SLYMI - 1/52

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...