Tuesday 25 August 2009

Coton Manor Again - Saturday 22nd August


We headed out about 11.30 to pick Jamie and Mike's Mum up at the bus station, they had come over on the bus from Aylesbury. Jamie was non too happy as there had been a bit of T-shirt confusion and he hadn't been allowed to wear his beloved Metallica T-shirt! I was a bit miffed too, as we've had a long running thing with Jamie where we've told him that the person who owns Ryanair is the same one as Mike's cousin, and when we were all out for a meal one day in Cardiff, our Michael wrote a note for Jamie saying that every time he flew he could have Pringles to his hearts delight on 'his' Ryanair planes, this has been going on for over 3 years now, but Mike's Mum blew it for us all today too. (Aargh!!)

We were heading off to Coton Manor near Guilsborough, Northants. We suggested it to Mike's Mum as she likes gardens and I am becoming more and more into gardens these days (is it my age or is it my flower arranging?) Here is the link to the blog from Coton Manor earlier in the year when the bluebells were out http://www.blogcatalog.com/blog/sues-family-flowers-and-fun-stuff and a link to the Coton Manor website too http://www.cotonmanor.co.uk/.

There is a lot more to see than just the gardens and it makes for a very pleasant afternoon, especially if the sun is shining, as it did for us! Here are some of the flamingos, they are amazing, standing on one leg, and the colours were stunning.






Here's one of the ducks, I didn't see the one with the amazing blue beak today, but Jamie and Mike said they'd seen it, cute!




When we were walking through bluebell wood, Jamie almost stood on this little fella, a field mouse, it was tiny, easily less than 4 cms long without its tail, sadly the picture didn't come out too well, but you can see it's tail and ears. We stood and watched it for about 5 minutes we were fascinated, it must have been terrified of these huge things looking at it. It eventually ran off to who knows where, it was a privilege to see one of these tiny creatures. But the answer to Jamie remains no mice, rats, gerbils, hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits etc etc, between Binnie and Twinkle I wouldn't give them much of a chance!




Here's Jamie looking gorgeous with his long hair, more about his hair later.



This is the Meadow Border, sadly I can't give any specifics as to the flowers at the moment as I don't know or can't make them out clearly enough. This is something I am hoping to learn a lot more about over the coming months. But it was beautiful and I love the delicate shades of all the different colours, very restful planting.




I think this is the blue and yellow border, with the red border in the background, but don't quote me on it! Again beautiful plant combinations, I like to look at what nature throws together and what long planted gardens have together as it gives me ideas for colour schemes in flower arrangements.



Below is a Heuchera, possibly Palace Purple, I have fallen in love with this plant since seeing it at the last flower club demonstration and it comes in some amazing colours. I bought a couple in the nursery at Coton and think this plant may become a bit of an obsession. Just for a taster some of the varieties are called Berry Smoothie, Blackberry Jam, Creme Brulee, Chocolate Ruffles, Cascade Dawn and Georgia Peach to name but a few, I may do a whole blog about it in a couple of weeks time.




The weather was wonderful and after a super wander around, we headed off to the tea shop, Mike and Jamie went ahead and I took some photos as I wandered back who should I bump into but my wonderful flower arranging tutor Sylvia. Well it was hugs all round and Jamie said to Mike, "Daddy someone is hugging Mummy", Mike guessed it was Sylvia, so I grabbed Mike and introduced them as they have not met properly but have spoken on the phone, it was lovely for them to all meet properly. I adore Sylvia and she has passed on her passion for flower arranging to me too I consider myself very lucky to have had such a wonderful teacher as her and now enjoy her company at flower club and other events too. I am very much looking forward to the Advanced Course she is planning to run after Easter 2010. Anyway we had a good natter about flower club and about Thursday coming (more of that on Thursday) and she headed off with her friend to look around the garden.

I got my coffee and had a slice of coffee and walnut cake, which was lovely and then we had a wander in the nursery area, where I picked up a couple of Heuchera and a Sedum (a dark purple) all of which will provide some useful flower arranging leaves eventually when they are big enough to pick from!

We headed off back home and Mike did a super BBQ, Binnie was almost recovered but sorry for herself as we kept her off food, just gave her a bit of bread and plenty of water was available for her. Mike took his Mum home.

I had planned to do a little bit more college work but I'd noticed during the day that Jamie had been scratching at his head a lot, and I had been scratching at mine (I bet you can guess where this is going!) and I also had a rash all over the top of my back. So I sat Jamie down, with my reading glasses on and a bright light and yes, you've guessed it HEAD LICE!! and not only him, me too (aargh!). So I got him straight into the shower, got his hair washed and then caked it in conditioner. I then sat for about 1 hour combing and combing and combing it to try and get as many of the blighters out as I could. I have never seen them before so had no idea what to expect, but goodness me some of them were HUGE, about 2mm long at the biggest. So I managed to get tons out of Jamie's head, he was quite bad (yuck) and I am sure he was going to be a lot more comfortable, but we were going to have to wait until the next day before we could get some proper stuff!

I then caked my hair in conditioner and Mike combed mine, not easy as my hair is very long and very very thick, after Mike has finished I sat and combed mine for about 40 minutes or so as well. Jamie has been very lucky and got to 9 without a problem, even when many in his class have had repeated bouts of them including some of his close friends. I have always put that down to a special shampoo we have used with Tea Tree oil and Neem oil in, and I think as it has been the summer holidays we have been a little lackadaisical and not replaced them. Jamie was at Activity Land a couple of weeks ago and I suspect that may be where he caught them, I caught them off him as I am always holding my head next to his and as he has my thick hair too it is not surprise they walked aboard me too! So that put paid to any college work for tonight!

Ciao

Sue

XX

Reading challenge 8/16 - currently reading Lovers and Players by Jackie Collins
Jamie's Reading challenge 4/12 - currently reading Rotten Romans by Terry Deary
SLYMI - 1/52

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...